Thursday, December 31, 2009

So was I right?

It is time for me to review the predictions from last year so we can have a good laugh. Maybe? Not sure. I wrote that last sentence before even looking to see what I predicted. Here goes:

- Either a new country will be created somewhere in the world in 2009, or a country will disappear.

As far as I know, this did not happen.

- The GDP of the US will be lower in 3Q2009 than it was in 4Q2008. It will be higher in 3Q2009 than it was in 2Q2009.

Obviously we all had the economy on our minds at the end of last year (still do). So let's look up the actual statistics here. I am going to use the best available numbers, since I know they get "updated" from time to time, probably when it's politically convenient.

I am using http://www.bea.gov/national/nipaweb/TableView.asp?SelectedTable=5&FirstYear=2008&LastYear=2009&Freq=Qtr for some nice raw data. These numbers are presumably in billions of US$.

3Q2009: 14,242.1
2Q2009: 14,151.2
4Q2008: 14,347.3

So it looks like I was right on that one.

- I am going to put up an additional new web site in 2009.

I'm going to call that a "no" -- there was really nothing significantly public that I did. Partly because of the next item.

- The Western Syndicate site will still be going same as ever at the end of 2009.

It turns out no. Postings here, as you may have noticed, are significantly down, but that is because I have offloaded a lot of stuff to the Twitter/Facebook combination, where I am actually posting more than I used to. Foresaw the rise of social media, possibly, but not my sudden increased use of it in 2009.

So I got, what, 1 out of 4. That seems pretty typical. Predicting the future is hard.

No comments: