Saturday, August 29, 2009

VMware Fusion in Snow Leopard

(this is from mail I sent last night about my Snow Leopard install)

Seems to work ok. This is 32 bit snow leopard though.

Couple of weirdnesses -- I unthinkingly didn't actually shut down my guests before upgrading, I just suspended them. I did the snow leopard install and vmware fusion 2.0.5 upgrade, and then restarted the XP guest, and got a warning saying that the video drivers might be screwed up until I rebooted the guest. I dismissed the warning, it didn't seem to have any effect at all. Later I rebooted the guest and there was no more warning. Ubuntu didn't complain at all.

I did upgrade the VMware tools in the XP guest also.

The handoff of the mouse pointer between the host and the guest is slightly broken. If I kind of ease into the guest's screen, it works. If I try to do it fast, sometimes it doesn't catch, or the pointer just gets stuck, or the pointer disappears. Hitting control-cmd to release the pointer and then moving the mouse again fixes it.

If I disconnect my USB serial port from the VM (which happens in my normal workflow sometimes) the Mac now helpfully notices that a USB port has become available that I probably want to run TCP/IP over, and asks me if I want to configure that. Every time. Also it did when I booted the machine (I don't know if it will ask me when I reboot... maybe.) So this magic detection of networks running over USB might be an annoyance. It is pretty clear that the USB port that has a tty device driver installed on it is not going to be used as a network device, or I wouldn't have installed a tty device drive manually on it already.

It is nice that my tty device driver from Leopard actually still worked though.

So I seem to be able to work.

No comments: