Friday, July 20, 2007

I would pay money

I would pay money to find out which vendor said this.

"We need to stifle creativity in the open source community to get control of standards..."

I am running into some open source "issues" today. The open source solutions tend to be simpler and better. However, they tend to also only be 70% solutions to the business requirement, at which point the developers get bored and move on to something else. This is exactly why companies like Microsoft actually dominate the market instead of open source solutions.

If open source was so great, we would have a functional open source replacement for Microsoft Exchange right now that could be dropped in and used by an average administrator. We don't have one. It's been ten years since I started looking at that issue, but went on to another business opportunity assuming that the Exchange-replacement one would be an obvious one that would be done by half a dozen people who were more qualified than I. Boy was I wrong. This is another one of those ideas I've had that I've ended up kicking myself about years later. That's food for another post later on, though.

No comments: